Public awareness and support for independent businesses is on the rise, thanks in large part to a wide array of educational campaigns that have been developed in recent years to promote the benefits of choosing locally owned businesses. Here we’ve compiled a brief selection of materials and events created by AIB members and allies. We hope this sampling will provide an overview and entry-point for independent business organizations that may wish to develop similar campaigns and help expand the “buy local first” movement.
Advocates for Independent Business
- Before You Click on Amazon, Here’s Why Your Choice Matters (Infographic)
- Shopping Local for the Holidays (Infographic) – Handy facts on the growing popularity and economic benefit of choosing locally owned stores.
- Local: A Better Way to Shop (Facebook Graphic)
- What’s Trending for the Holidays (Facebook Graphic)
- Some of the Many Things We’re Thankful For (Facebook Graphic)
American Booksellers Association
- IndieBound — Posters, handouts, bookmarks & other in-store collateral.
- Indies First — A November event in which authors spend a day working in independent bookstores.
- Thanks for Shopping Indie — Supported by publishers, this week-long promotion begins on the Saturday following Thanksgiving and features special discounts on select titles at indie bookstores.
American Independent Business Alliance
- “Buy Local” Posters, Stickers, Buttons and Guides
- Free “Buy Local” Templates & Tools
- Keys to Effective Buy Local Campaigns — A guide to creating campaigns that work.
- What is an Independent Business Alliance? — Tools for reaching out to other business owners in your community and starting a local business alliance.
American Specialty Toy Retailing Association
- 10 Reasons to Shop Locally
- Neighborhood Toy Store Day — A November event celebrating independent toy stores.
- Claim Your Independents — Communicating the unique value independent toy stores offer customers.
Independent Running Retailers Association
- Lace Up Local — A national campaign to educate shoppers about the value of independent running shops.
Institute for Local Self-Reliance