Here we’ve compiled a brief selection of original independent business research, tools, and materials from AIB, resources and events from our members, and additional resources from ally groups. We hope this sampling will be useful to local businesses, their customers, trade associations, and media outlets, alike.
- Independent Business Survey
- Advocacy Tools
- Original Infographics
- Member Resources for Promoting Indies
- Additional Resources
Independent Business Survey
AIB conducts a nationwide survey of hundreds of independent businesses annually, documenting the latest challenges and opportunities local businesses across sectors face.
- Independent Retailers and the Changing Retail Landscape – Our 2017 survey of over 850 independent retailers yields valuable insights into how these businesses are responding to the changing landscape of the retail sector differently than retail chains and Amazon, and what sets independents apart.
- 2016 Independent Business Survey – Our 2016 survey of over 3,000 independent retailers reveals how strong public support for independent businesses bolsters sales, which in turn has increased hiring in the independent business sector. Despite these encouraging signs of resilience, biased public policies and other obstacles continue to limit the success of independents.
Click to find an archive of past AIB independent business surveys.
When independent businesses meet with their local elected officials, they help build the mindset that independent businesses matter and that local policy must level an often uneven playing field that favors large corporations. AIB has created an advocacy toolkit and local policy guide to ensure the voices of local businesses are heard in the policy process:
Public awareness and support for independent businesses is on the rise, thanks in large part to a wide array of educational campaigns that have been developed in recent years. AIB has created several infographics to support these efforts:
- The Ripple Effect When You Shop Local
- Before You Click on Amazon, Here’s Why Your Choice Matters
- Shopping Local for the Holidays – Holiday-inspired infographic highlighting growing popularity and economic benefit of choosing locally owned stores.
Member Resources for Promoting Indies
- IndieBound — Posters, handouts, bookmarks & other in-store collateral.
- Indies First — A November event in which authors spend a day working in independent bookstores.
- Thanks for Shopping Indie — Supported by publishers, this week-long promotion begins on the Saturday following Thanksgiving and features special discounts on select titles at indie bookstores.
- 10 Reasons to Shop Locally
- Neighborhood Toy Store Day — A November event celebrating independent toy stores.
- Economic Impact of Locally Owned Businesses — Summaries of key studies.